When you come in for an appointment, you review and sign our HIPAA policy. At Lineberger Orthodontics, Dr. Matt Lineberger, Dr. Megan Lineberger, Dr. Claire Fedore and Dr. Bhaven Sayania, offer orthodontic treatments for the residents of Charlotte, Elizabeth, Huntersville and surrounding communities in North Carolina.
What is HIPAA?
HIPAA is an acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. When you come in for your appointments, we provide our HIPAA privacy notice for you to sign. We may also ask during each subsequent appointment if you need to review the notice again.
HIPAA provides certain requirements for personal health information, or PHI, especially around the areas of security provisions and data privacy.
What Are My Rights Under HIPAA?
- Obtain a copy of your record, including the notes from all your visits, insurance claims and other documentation
- Make corrections to any errors or omissions in your record
- Request we only communicate with you confidentially
- Request we limit the amount of information we share regarding your services and other aspects of care
- Request a list of entities that have received any portion of your record
- Select an individual to act on your behalf, such as someone who is responsible for decisions about your care
- File a complaint with our office should you believe your rights under HIPAA were violated
What Choices Do I Need to Make Under HIPAA?
- Do you want us to release information to any family or friends regarding your care? If so, what information would you like us to share, with whom and for how long?
- Do you want us to share your information in special circumstances, such as disaster relief?
- Can we share portions of your information as part of our marketing, including selling your basic contact information?
Under What Circumstances Would You Use and Disclose My PHI?
- Managing the care and treatment you receive
- Operating our practice
- Payment for your services
- Administering your insurance, such as filing claims
- Assisting with public health and safety issues
- Conduct research
- Comply with requirements under the law
- Respond to requests for tissue and organ donations
- Coordinate with funeral directors and medical examiners on your behalf
- Respond to requests from government agencies, law enforcement and workers’ compensation
- Respond to legal actions and lawsuits
Our HIPAA policy protects your personal information and privacy. Lineberger Orthodontics offers orthodontic treatments for the residents of Charlotte, Elizabeth, Huntersville and surrounding communities in North Carolina. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.